I always get sick around the holidays. I’ve been doing everything I can to avoid it this year because frankly, I just don’t have time to be sick. (Like anyone really does though, right?)
There have been a few days where I thought I might be getting a cold but fortunately so far I’ve been able to keep it at bay. However, it’s good reminder that winter is just starting and since I’m spending this week in a different climate (I’m in Phoenix for a work trip), with all of my colleagues at the same resort, germs are bound to be prevalent.
My 5 Tips to Staying Healthy
- Take your Vitamins. I grew up always having to take a daily multi-vitamin, and while sometimes I might forget or run out for a few weeks, it’s a habit that I’ve been pretty good maintaining throughout my adulthood. When I feel something brewing, or when I’m around others who are sniffling and sneezing, I ramp up my vigilance by also taking a packet of Emergen-C a day. It might be all in my head, but I swear it helps. Even if I do get sick, if I’m taking my vitamins, it’s usually a bit more manageable.
- Wash your Hands. This one is pretty “duh”, but it’s also easy to forget! I try to remember to wash my hands or at least use hand sanitizer every time I get off the subway or finish from running errands.
- Get Enough Sleep. This might be difficult depending on your schedule, but it’s definitely important to get enough sleep especially when you feel you might be coming down with something. Your body needs this time to refuel and fight off those germs!
- Regular Exercise. It’s so easy to make a million excuses for not working out – it’s cold out, you’re tired, you don’t feel well, but studies have shown that regular aerobic exercise can lower your chance of getting that dreaded winter cold. Just be sure to listen to your body and not overdo it especially if you do feel something coming on because added bodily stress can weaken the immune system. So, just remember moderation here!
- Healthy Diet. Make sure your diet is full of fresh fruits and veggies. Their vitamins and nutrients will help keep your body in tip top shape. Don’t forget to drink enough water too!
I’m going to try to follow my own advice on this business trip so I don’t spend my first week back sick. Wishing you all a sniffle-free January 🙂
How About You?
What do you do to stay healthy during the winter months?